Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Zombieland

If there was one movie I regret not going to in 2009, it was fucking “Zombieland”! Come on, a zombie fan like me missing a movie called “Zombieland”? it’s a sin I tell ya!
Well, have no fear, I have done my time. And here’s a real non shocker: “ZOMBIELAND” IS FUCKING AWESOME!!!
I really can’t find another way to describe it. It’s a movie with guns, humor, zombies, good acting, and it opens with one of the best opening credit sequences ever! You really can’t top a slow motion credits sequence of people being chased by zombies with Metallica’s “For Whom the Bell Tolls” in the background. It really puts you in the right mood for the rest of the film and you know you’re in for something epic.
What I have always said makes a really good zombie movie is good characters. “Shaun Of the Dead” was the perfect example of this and it could make the funny scenes funnier and the horror scenes that much more horrifying because you’ve gotten to like the characters. “Zombieland” is another perfect example of this. It’s got an ensemble cast that has some of the best onscreen chemistry. The performances from Woody Harrelson and company are just spot on with just the right amount of those fun little quirks that make you like them.
Not to mention the writing is top notch. I mean I thought this movie was going to be really silly, yet fun, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that this movie actually has a lot of love and effort behind it. The jokes and just general sense of humor are all surprisingly well thought out and not just low brow.
And as if this movie really gets something just right in spades, it's action and horror elements are just so well done, the action is actually exciting and the horror elements are actually pretty suspenseful. It may seem weird to think that is a big deal for an action horror comedy, but it really is when you look at some of the movies that are coming out and it's nice to see one that actually is exciting, funny and nail biting all at the same time.
It’s hard to find something that I don’t like about this movie. It’s just one of those perfect fun little movies. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to have a good time watching a movie. Not just a highly recommended rental, but a highly recommended purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment