Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Book Of Eli

So 2010 has come and with it comes the out pour of new releases of the new year. I'm going to come out and say this right here and now. I don't buy into hype. I very rarely actually go into a movie going: "This is going to be awesome, the previews say so. Hail the almighty previews!" I know not all people react this way to a movie and it's previews, but I can't help but still notice the many people that still leave the theater saying that the previews made it look better. Of course they did! That's what they're supposed to do!
The point I'm making is that though a movie coming out may look pretty good in the previews, it can still suck when you see it. So I went into this movie with no expectation. I was trying to be as neutral as possible so I that I could actually experience the film.
And you know what? This was pretty damn good. I'm serious, but I also have to say this, I can tell that this movie is going to be a you either love it or hate it kind of movie. Some are going to love it for a lot of the reasons I'll get into in a second, and the others will hate it because I'm sure they were expecting something with a faster pace. That said, I was one of it's admirers. It was a great movie going experience and, dare I say it? A movie that actually made me think a little!
The plot of this post apocalyptic story involves a lone man, Denzel Washington, walking across the desolate wasteland that was once America carrying the last remaining Bible on earth. A corrupt leader of a shanty little town community, Gary Oldman, finds out that he has it and realizes that with it he can gain even more power and control over the people.
What really made this movie for me, is the pacing and scope. It's slow, but steady. It never really drags and it gives you the feeling of the wide, barren land scape. The opening is a perfect example because the way it's shot and edited gives you a feeling of isolation and that it's a world of kill or be killed. The sweeping visual moments remind me a little of "Lawrence of Arabia" and give the impression that this movie is nothing short of an epic. Some of the best moments are the fighting and action sequences, which actually go away from the popular trend of rapid cuts and extreme camera angles for simple camera movements that actually add a lot of excitement to them, like a shoot out that's filmed to look like the whole thing is taking place in one, long shot.
The performances are all stellar, with Gary Oldman giving another great villain portrayal, and Washington for the first time in awhile actually gives a performance that makes me feel like he's actually playing someone other than Denzel Washington playing Denzel Washington. But the performances that really impressed me were Jennifer Beals and Mila Kunis as a mother and daughter living with Oldman. Beals has a tragic determination of a mother who'll do anything to protect her daughter and Kunis gives a very surprising performance with a nice vulnerability, but still has a fighting side.
It's so refreshing actually for once see a movie that's not really one specific genre. It has elements of a social commentary, but it also has kick ass action and a nice overall sci-fi story with a bit of a twist that's not super surprising, but I found it to be quite unexpected. I highly recommend this film. It is well worth the price of an admission ticket and even if you don't want to spend the $10 to see it on the big screen, well I foresee a satisfying rental in your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment